Wednesday

When Work and Mission Intersect

Corey is the third person from the left.
by Corey Vana

Several weeks ago I went on a “Vision” Trip to Belize on behalf of Stop Hunger Now.  You see, GSK, for whom I work full time, has a volunteer program called PULSE, where employees can volunteer their time for up to six months at a partner Non-Government Organization (NGO), locally, within their country, or internationally.  I chose to stay in Raleigh and was matched with Stop Hunger Now.

My trip to Belize was set up to meet with our meal partner, Kidz Konnect 4 Jesus, a ministry which began 6 years ago through the work of David and Karen Rhoads.  After visiting southern Belize, Karen and David had a vision to spread the gospel in Belize through school age children where they saw a great need in this very poor country.  Stop Hunger Now began supplying meals to Kidz Konnect 4 Jesus after Karen presented a compelling case to Stop Hunger Now regarding how children and family were starving because of lack of food.  My role on this trip was to observe and document pictorially how the meals are used.

Over the past few years, I have been on several mission trips to Rwanda and Honduras so I was prepared for the stark poverty and subsistence living of these people.  But what struck me on this trip was the dedication and commitment to the Kingdom that both David and Karen had in their ministry.  All credit and glory was directed to the Lord and any decisions to expand operations or ministry are always taken to the Lord. 

David’s effort to repurpose buildings or grounds that have been abandoned by the government are visionary in nature.  Where I saw a row of old, abandoned block homes in a jungle of grass and weeds as an eyesore, David saw it as an opportunity to house abused women and to plant and harvest corn in the fields.

The Lord touched me on this trip reassuring me again of how he uses the willing and faithful for his glory.  Although I haven’t yet heard his call as to the next phase of my life, I am patiently listening for the quiet whisper of his voice to me.

No comments :

Post a Comment