Wednesday

An Account from the Men's Retreat

by Johnny McConnell


I have had the pleasure to go on all of the men’s retreats but one.  They have all been excellent for really challenging men to dig deep spiritually.

The theme of this past weekend was “Search and Rescue” which is certainly what the Lord has been doing for us. The speaker, Michael Thompson, made the subject come alive with vivid film clips from such movies as “The Matrix”, “The Legend of Bagger Vance” and “Saving Private Ryan.” He even aroused me to get up at 6 am to meet with some fellows to go over what we learned.  At age 73 and really being in Jesus’ hands for some time, I am already seeing my life and the place I am in, in a larger sense and looking forward to more. His three top guns from our church provided a panel and leadership which were both helpful and insightful as Steve Swayne, Jim Hinkey, and Trey Gaylord are graduates of two “Top Gun Retreats.”

I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with my Saturday afternoon free time, but the praise band guitars were quickly picked up and passed around for an afternoon jam session. It lasted for several hours and we had musical discussions and all kinds of picking and singing with the ages of the guitarists readily apparent by the era of their tunes.  I was obviously dated by my Chuck Berry songs, but Feeney, Smith, Armstrong, Shell and Preacher Dominguez, were all over the place with talent and we had a fair audience of singers as well.  It truly was the most fun I personally have had in a long time and I will bet more guitars show up at our next retreat.




No comments :

Post a Comment